- Evaluation and management of acute and chronic kidney disease in the office and local area hospitals. MNA providers will work through every stage of kidney disease and will work closely with your primary care provider to develop treatment plans that focus on the preserving kidney function. Hospitals include Maine Medical Center, Southern Maine Health Care (Biddeford and Sanford), Mercy and New England Rehabilitation Hospital.
- Hypertension Medical management of high blood pressure with adjunct therapy such as diet and lifestyle modifications to help keep kidneys healthy.
- Electrolyte imbalance The kidneys regulate fluids and electrolytes, therefore changes in renal function can result in electrolyte imbalances.
- Kidney transplant management:
- Anemia management in kidney disease: MNA provides ESA’s (erythrocyte stimulating agents) for patients with anemia secondary to kidney disease. For more information.
- Kidney replacement therapy: In-patient, in-center, home and PD.
- Kidney replacement access care: Is provided at the Scarborough surgery center which is directed by Robert Zimmerman.
- Kidney Stone Prevention Clinic: The Maine Nephrology Associates (MNA) Kidney Stone Prevention Clinic is dedicated to preventing the formation, growth, and recurrence of kidney stones. Kidney stone recurrence can be STOPPED with lifestyle and dietary changes and, when necessary, with medicines to treat any underlying condition that might be contributing to kidney stone formation.The MNA Kidney Stone Prevention team formulates kidney stone prevention plans tailored to each patient. To determine the most effective, individualized treatment plan, the MNA team performs a comprehensive medical and metabolic evaluation. When needed, the MNA Kidney Stone Prevention clinic offers on-site Registered Dietitian, phlebotomy, laboratory, and kidney ultrasound services.
The MNA Kidney Stone Prevention team includes Dr. Eric Taylor, a nationally recognized expert in kidney stone prevention and research, Yvonne Sirois RN (Clinic coordinator), and Lisa Hutter RD (Dietitian). Call (207) 774-5222 for more information. Kidney Stone Clinic Overview
- Patient and family education classes:
– Kidney Disease Education (KDE): Informational sessions that discuss chronic kidney disease with a focus on prevention, kidney protection and treatment options.
– Low sodium class with Lisa Hutter: Information provided on ways to lower dietary sodium, label reading and shopping trips.
- Dietary counseling: Dietary counseling services are provided by Registered dietician Lisa Hutter MS, RDN, LD. Consultations are ordered by your provider and a detailed treatment plan is developed that focuses on the specific dietary needs of kidney patients.
- In-house comprehensive laboratory:
- In-house kidney imaging: Kidney ultrasounds can be done here in the office which will assist the provider in treating your kidney condition. Many times ultrasounds can be done the same day as your appt. with the provider.
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring: Is used for patients with difficult to treat hypertension or white coat hypertension.
- Inpatient consultations:
- Renal biopsies: Some kidney diseases require a biopsy for diagnosis. Biopsies are done at MMC by one our of board certified physicians.